Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Belmont and the Iron Horse Trail Rail Road Tracks, September 13, 2011

Tonight I went running. I ran through the graveyard and some Kitchener neighborhoods, and finished my run on the Iron Horse trail where it passes under the rail road tracks. I climbed up the slippery rocky path to the tracks. Up on top of the tracks, I can look west and east as the tracks fade into blue. I like to imagine London - I've never been in that direction. I like to imagine the day when I take the train west. I imagine that on that day I'll get the train going west and stay on it for a long time, keep traveling into an open future.

Tonight I walked east down the tracks for a while, alone in a quiet urban wilderness, goldenrod and long grasses bobbing between the tracks and the factory and the small industrial shacks. I imagined myself walking all the way to Toronto, quiet, steady, ordinary. Then I turned around and went west for a while, crossed Belmont as the sun started to go down.

I walked for long time after that in the quiet side streets, as the trees and the sky darkened, as the still late summer night came slowly down.

No comments:

Post a Comment