Sunday, November 6, 2011

Dodds Lane, November 2, 2011

On Wednesday night I went to get my haircut at Voila Uptown. At 8 pm I was finished, and came out of the bright lights, warmth and music into the cool dark night. I planned to go over to the Bridgeport Shoppers, buy some chapstick and ear plugs, and then continue on into Moses Springer Park to admire the moon.

As I came along the lane behind Voila towards John St, a very large raccoon ran across the road and into a yard to my right. I stopped to watch him run along the top of a fence, pause, look at me, and then leap into a tree. He disapeared into the darkness, and then, as I continued to watch, his masked face poppped up between a fork in the tree. His eyes reflected the streetlight as he watched me, and I watched him. Above him and to the right, through the bare branches, a very bright star shone like a beauty mark in the sky. The raccoon was nearly invisible and only because I had stopped and was looking for him was I able to see him in the darkness. He disapeared again and then re-appeared, even more dimly, and higher up in the tree. Again we watched each other in the the dark, until he disapeared again, and then I went on my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment