Wednesday, August 23, 2023

A new sort of adventure!

I'm travelling London, England via Google Maps. I go road by road, and into parks where possible. My only rule is that I can't make any significant jump - I can jump back to go in a different direction, or to find my place again, but not forward and not randomly. In this way I am trying to mimic the experience of exploring neighbourhoods street by street on foot or in a car. 

In this blog, I'll post interesting things I see, with some comments. Enjoy! :)

August 23, 2023 - Deptford



Skulls and bones on the gateposts at St. Nicholas Church. You can learn more about this and other parts of Deptford in this great video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ9BWRIK46o. At 19:00, we find out that these skulls and cross bones were the inspiration for the pirate skull and bones image!






Christopher Marlowe is buried here. Not pictured, but the captain of the ship that was the inspiration for Coleridge's The Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner is also buried here (see more details in the link above). 




A cute dog.




An exquisitely basic parkette.


Well then.


... well then.









No comments:

Post a Comment